Sunday, July 29, 2012

Faith & Tim RedBook Interview


The two of you spent last summer on the road, and this summer you're heading out again. What do you love -- and hate -- most about touring? 
Tim: For a couple of hours, I've got my own stage -- that's just great. I also love playing basketball in the afternoon before most concerts. 

Faith: The loves definitely outweigh the hates. There is nothing like performing live for fans who are as wonderful as ours have been. Also, I feel very lucky that we get to tour the country with the whole family. The hates -- well, that's a pretty strong word. How about dislikes? When you're traveling with three children and a dog, let's just say the movement from city to city takes a little extra effort, extra muscle, and extra minds. At the end of the tour, I'm exhausted just from moving us all around. This is the first time we're taking one of the dogs. The kids will love that, but we'll just have to see how it goes. 

T: The worst for me is that idle period between 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. My body goes into preservation mode 'cause it knows what's coming up. So I get real draggy during that time and I want the concert to begin so I can get rid of that feeling.

What's one of the most memorable things a fan has done for you?
T: I remember doing shows a few weeks after my father died, and someone in the audience had taken a king-size bed sheet and painted one of my dad's baseball cards on it. And they were holding it up out in the audience. That was just so cool and meant a lot to me. 

Do you share a dressing room on tour or do you each have your own space? 
T: No, no, uh-uh. Faith has got too many women in her dressing room running around! I gotta have my own space. Every now and then my oldest daughter, Gracie, will hang out with me until she gets bored. She'd rather be with Mom doing makeup stuff.

Do you have any must-do pre-concert rituals? 
F: My dressing room is a pretty active place with the kids running around, people helping me get dressed. It's kind of chaotic and very different from the environment in Tim's dressing room. But the chaos is comforting. It feels like home. Right before I walk onstage, I try and get 15 minutes by myself. I always have music playing, and it's a meditation time for me. A time to get focused.
What is that comfort outfit you always come back to? 
T: Jeans and a T-shirt -- though I have to make sure I'm in good shape before I wear just that. 

Faith, what do you like to wear onstage?
F: It all depends on my mood, but it has to be something I'm comfortable in, whether it's a pair of jeans or a long, flowing dress. If what I'm wearing inhibits my movement or I feel confined, it won't work.

Which would you have a harder time living without: lipstick or mascara?
F: Lipstick. I just look better with it because my skin is so fair, and when my hair is light, I can just fade out. Plus, it just feels good to put it on, and it immediately adds a little color.

So you have a comfort outfit. What's one of your favorite comfort meals?
T: I make the best pasta sauce in the world. I call it gravy. My mother's Italian. She taught me how to make this sauce at an early age. But I also love country-fried steak. And Faith cooks great southern food. We pretty much like soul food for comfort. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. 

What's your all-time favorite late-night snack?
T: Lately it's these homemade Popsicles from a little store here in town [Nashville]. There are all these fantastic flavors, like caramel. One night recently I had about seven! 

F: I just love chips and dips. If I get started, I will eat the entire bag, so I only allow myself to do it on occasion.

What's your favorite thing to cook?
F: Oh, man, I do all southern foods, so you name it and I can cook it. I don't know if that's good or bad; southern food is so yummy, but it's not exactly good for the figure. I do a great cornbread dressing and I do fried chicken really well. Also the big holiday meals. My mom and dad have grown wonderful fresh vegetables all their lives, and they still supply us with them. Of course, when a southern cook gets ahold of fresh vegetables, we cook all the vitamins out of them

Tim, pick one: barbecue or hamburgers? 
T: Hamburgers. [To Faith: "Hey, baby, what was the name of that hamburger place we ate at after the basketball tournament?"

F: It was Brick something. But I also like Johnny Rockets. And in Beverly Hills, there's a place called Beverly Hills Diner or something, and they have a good burger and good chili cheese fries. I also love Pink's hot dogs on La Brea in Los Angeles.

What's the last thing one of your girls said that dazzled you? 
T: Every day one of them says something that amazes me, but this morning in particular, because today [May 1] is my 40th birthday. This morning, Audrey, my littlest one, said, "Daddy, how old are you today?" I told her. She looked at me with those big eyes and said, "Whoa, Daddy. That's a lot." And I said, "Yes, it is."

Do the kids find touring exciting?
T: They just love it, and that's why we decided to continue the tour one more year. There were a few little moans about going on the road, so this will probably be the last year we can both go out. Our oldest turns 10 on Saturday [May 5] and our youngest will be 6 in December, and they're starting to get their friends -- they're starting to get their own lives. So that's why we decided, "Let's go out one more year together, because we might never be able to do it again."

You recently formed your own charitable group together, the Neighbor's Keeper Foundation. Why is that so important to you?
T: I've been very lucky. I've been blessed with money and a great family. But I grew up in a poor family in a poor area in Louisiana, and my family went through a lot of struggles. I think you're obligated, when you have the kind of success I have, to help others.

It's not even a choice for us. It's such a burden on my heart to see so much pain, neglect, and sickness. Especially when it comes to the children of the world.

Faith, you've maintained a phenomenal balance between family and work. What does a typical day look like for you? 
F: Let's see, it's 11 a.m. right now. Our youngest daughter, Audrey, is doing her end-of-the-year Noah's ark play at school. But as of this morning, I had yet to pick up her costume. So she was late for school because she had to come with me to pick it up, and then she wanted a different color than what she was supposed to have. We had a little drama about that. So I get her late to school, and then I have to run pick up birthday stuff for Gracie's birthday on Saturday. And I'm supposed to be picking out the single for my greatest hits album, and all this is happening at the same time. Just like every mother out there, I try to prioritize, make a list, and start checking things off. The stuff I don't get done will just have to wait until tomorrow.

How do you ease the stress?
F: Well, today, when I finally got Audrey to school, I came into the classroom and her teacher gave me a little hug and said to me, "God is good." And I just stopped in my tracks and got tears in my eyes and I thought to myself, You know what? Yes, He is, and everything is okay. And I just found some peace in that. Audrey's teacher could tell I was a little frazzled, and she gave me those great words to walk through my day with.

What do you each do when the other is just getting on your nerves, especially when you spend so much time together on tour? - Monica Dobbs, 28, Glens Falls, NY
TIM: I get on Faith’s nerves all the time [laughing]. We’ve got our own spaces and I play basketball, though she plays with us too sometimes. She starts getting ready a lot earlier than I do, so she gets away from me. All I have to do is put my jeans on and I’m ready to go. We have those 3-4 hours away from one another before a concert that gives us that downtime. 

Are you and Faith planning to put out a CD anytime soon with just your duets? - Julie Smith, 34, Quincy, IL
TIM: Yeah, one day we hope to when the time is right. Right now, we’re both so busy making our own records, fulfilling our obligations with record companies and touring, we just haven’t had the time yet, but that’s certainly something that we want to do. 

What do you and Faith consider to be “your song”? - Kerrin Lucas, 24, Conway, NH
TIM: “Samba Pa Ti” by Santana

Faith has been through several looks: long hair, short hair, light hair, dark hair. Do you have a favorite, Tim? Do you, Faith? - Kathy Moore, 46, Aztec, NM
TIM: I like them all. She could shave all her hair off and be bald and she’d still look good.

FAITH: I prefer myself as a blonde, because it’s who I am. But I loved being a brunette too and when I first dyed my hair darker, it wasn’t traumatic at all; it just felt like it was time for a change. I love that really dark, brunette look, but I never went as dark as I would have liked, because my skin is so light. I just thought it would be too much.

What is your and Faith’s favorite thing to do together? -Cherylann Bellavia, 43, North Chili, NY
TIM: Sit at home, close the curtains, and watch movies with the kids. Or go to the Bahamas.

FAITH: A movie that we really love is The Family Stone. There’s something very romantic about it. 

Can you share a favorite recipe that you cook yourself? -Joanne Davidson, 59, Denver CO 
TIM: I make the best pasta sauce in the world. I call it gravy. It’s basically noodles and gravy. My mother’s Italian. She taught me how to make this sauce at an early age. I can’t give you every single ingredient, 'cause it’s a family recipe, plus I never measure anything. Fresh tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasonings, garlic, red wine, basil, country-style boneless pork ribs, meatballs that I make, Italian sausage, and dark brown sugar. It takes a while, but it’s worth it and it’s always better the second day. I don’t refrigerate it, which might sound gross, but after I cook it all day and into the evening, it’s usually really hot and I just leave the top firmly on it and let it sit on the stove overnight.

Full Credits-
http://www.redbookmag.com/fun-contests/celebrity/faith-hill


No comments:

Post a Comment